Have you heard the Good Word?
Give Hope Global has shipped the first of seven aquaponics kits to Haiti. Aquaponics is a combination of aquaculture (growing fish) and hydroponics (growing plants without soil). The unit will be assembled during the October 5th mission trip. With all 7 systems running, we will harvest ~600 pounds of tilapia each month.
While plant harvests will vary widely based on the species grown, we can anticipate harvesting 1200-2500 pounds of vegetables each month.
How it works:
- An aquaponics system is a controlled ecosystem that uses biofiltration to sustain fish and plants.
- The fish produce ammonia and solid wastes, which are transferred to grow beds where these waste products are converted to plant nutrients (fertilizer) via bacteria and worms.
- The purified water is then returned to the fish
How Cambry Beneftits:
- While donations from outside organizations have significantly improved the children’s diet, this has left the orphanage highly reliant on outside help.
- An aquaponics system would allow Cambry to grow crops to exceed their nutritional needs and give them the freedom to adapt harvests to meet their future needs.
Learn about the system: http://www.slideshare.net/andytlewis/aquaponics-at-cambry